Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Greatest Match Half of Us Saw

So for those of you who don't follow tennis, the U.S. Open is in its second week. I rushed home Wednesday night to catch the James Blake/Andre Agassi match, which was supposed to be spectacular.

The match entered the fifth set and suddenly the USA Network dropped coverage of the match! What did I get to see? A terrible repeat of Law and Order!

The weirdest part is that the commentators announced this coverage change ten minutes prior: "For those of you on the East coast, our coverage is coming to an end. You can switch to CBS. All of you on the West coast can still stay tuned right here." So, being the idiot I am, I believed them. Ten mintues later the coverage ended in the middle of the point. I switched to CBS, nothing but a reality show. No recourse.

No fifth set. No thrilling come from behind victory from 2 sets down with an 8-6 tiebreaker, which ESPN is calling "epic" and reminiscent of an old-school Jimmy Connors match.

I would think that a national network would understand the concept of time zones by now. This is an absolute debacle.

No comments: